Bipolar is a mood disorder that affects 1.5 percent of Canadians. It is often, though not exclusively, diagnosed to those in their late teens and early twenties, and is characterized by mood swings, from very low depressive states to high-energy manic states.
Bipolar Disorder Makes It Hard To Predict Actions
Because of the wide changes in mood and energy levels, it can be very hard to predict the actions and capabilities or someone with Bipolar - this can be confusing and initially scary for many, including friends and loved ones of those who are suffering.
Learning more about Bipolar is the first step to understanding how best to help those with the disorder, and how to encourage fair and considerate treatment.
Facts About Bipolar Disorder
- Bipolar is not curable, but treatable through medication and talk therapy
- Though bipolar has possible genetic patterns, one’s lifestyle and environment also play a role in the likelihood of developing the disorder
- Symptoms of Bipolar can vary greatly, however the cycle between depression and mania is often the tell-tale sign of the disorder
- Other symptoms of Bipolar can include: problems with movement, hearing voices, and losing touch with reality
- Because of the variety of symptoms, those with Bipolar are often misdiagnosed with other disorders such as depression and schizophrenia
- Many living with Bipolar also have other diagnoses, such as anxiety and ADHD
- With the right treatment, many people with Bipolar can live a normal life
CAMH, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, is an amazing resource for those who have received a diagnosis of Bipolar and those who may be concerned for themselves or a loved one. Visit their website for more information. If you or someone you know needs help managing symptoms or concerns, CAMH can help.
Has your long-term disability claim been denied? Contact Share Lawyers and put our experience to work for you. We offer free consultations and there are no fees unless we win your case. Find out if you have a disability case.
We have recently settled cases against SSQ, Manulife, Sun Life, Great West Life, and many more. We love hearing feedback from our clients, so please share your own experience with us.